A woman typing using her laptop on a wooden desk.


What to do if you have a power cut locally or lose your gas supply.

Loss of electricity supply

Power Cut? Call 105 graphic

If you experience a power cut, contact your local Distribution Network Operator (DNO) by calling 105.

Or you can call your DNO directly using the emergency contact number for the DNO in your area. The map below shows each DNO’s location alongside a two-digit identifier that corresponds to the first two numbers on your Meter Point Administration Number. To find the contact number for your area, click on the button below:

24794-DNO-Map (002)

You’ll need the following information when you call:
  • Customer account number, invoice structure identifier or Meter Point Reference Number.
  • The serial number of the faulty meter (taken from the meter, not the bill).
  • A site contact name and telephone number.
  • The emergency visit reference number, if an engineer has visited (this will be on the paperwork left by the engineer).
  • The description of the fault (this will be on the paperwork left by the emergency engineer if they’ve visited).

Distribution Network Operators (DNOs) are licensed to distribute electricity in Great Britain by Ofgem.

There are fourteen geographically defined areas shown on the map, based on the former Area Electricity Board boundaries, where the distribution network operator distributes electricity from the transmission grid to homes and businesses.

There are also a number of independent Distribution Network Operators (IDNOs), which are mostly network extensions connected to the existing network. The IDNO contact details are included in our list of emergency contact numbers.


If you can smell gas or suspect a leak, or are experiencing pressure problems or loss of gas supply, phone the Gas Emergency helpline on 0800 111 999.

If the Gas Emergency engineer discovers a fault with the gas meter or regulator, please telephone 0345 070 1265 to report this.