Make your business stand out and further reduce your carbon footprint with SSE Green Gas and Green Gas Plus.
SSE Green Gas: We’ll match 25% of your gas consumption with renewable certificates and we’ll back the remaining 75% with carbon offsets to make it carbon neutral. We also pledge to plant one tree in the UK for every SSE Green Gas customer.
SSE Green Gas Plus: We’ll match 100% of your gas consumption with renewable certificates to further reduce your emissions for more ambitious environmental targets.
Our Green Gas products are also independently verified by EcoAct, an Atos company, which makes it easy to report reduced Scope 1 emissions under the Greenhouse Gas Protocol.†
Renewable gas (also referred to as green gas) is released during a process called anaerobic digestion. This is when natural waste products, such as agricultural materials, food waste and wastewater, are broken down using organic bacteria. The biomethane released is then captured and fed into the national grid.
Both natural gas (a type of fossil fuel) and renewable gas are supplied from the same gas grid. That means we can’t guarantee that the gas that reaches our customers is renewable gas. On an SSE Green Gas Tariff, we buy renewable certificates such as Renewable Gas Guarantee of Origin (RGGO) certificates and Biomethane Certificates (BMCs) from UK sources to prove that the equivalent amount of renewable gas has been added to the grid.‡
SSE Energy Solutions has launched a new 100% offset gas option through the Zellar sustainability platform. It’s 100% backed by UK-based ecological projects.
Carbon offsets are another way to reduce carbon. Carbon offset projects allow you to compensate for your emissions by funding an equivalent carbon dioxide (CO2) saving elsewhere.
By helping to pay to reduce CO2 in other parts of the world, you balance out, or offset, the CO2 your business is calculated to produce from the natural gas you buy – that means 75% of your gas is carbon-neutral.
If you sign up for an SSE Green Gas product, you’ll continue to get your gas through the national grid as normal. The difference is that we’ll buy the equivalent amount of renewable gas certificates or carbon offsets to match your consumption.
We match 25% of your consumption to renewable certificates (RGGOs or BMCs).‡ The remaining 75% of your supply is backed with carbon-neutral offsets through projects that develop wind and hydro power generation abroad, which cut global CO2 emissions.
Organised by Carbon Footprint Ltd, a leading carbon offsetting company, all the carbon offsets we buy are independently verified to international standards.
To further reduce carbon emissions at home, we also pledge to plant one tree per SSE Green Gas customer in the UK.
We match 100% of your gas consumption with renewable certificates to further reduce your emissions for more ambitious environmental targets.
Both SSE Green Gas and Green Gas plus are independently verified by EcoAct which makes it easy to report reduced Scope 1 carbon emissions for gas †.
†For emissions reporting using the market-based method under the Greenhouse Gas Protocol, with SSE Green Gas, 25% can be reported as biogas and 75% natural gas. All carbon offsets are reported off scope. For SSE Green Gas Plus, 100% can be reported as biogas.
‡With SSE Green Gas and SSE Green Gas Plus, you’ll continue to get your gas through the national grid as normal, and we’ll match your consumption to RGGOs, or BMCs from UK-based generating assets.
All SSE Energy Solutions products are offered in accordance with our applicable terms and conditions and are subject to availability.